Layoffs and change are unavoidable. Companies are constantly looking to improve processes and save money and so your career strategy should always involve a plan to make yourself indispensable.
Of course, this doesn't mean you'll never lose your job but it does provide some safe-guards and make it more likely that you'll land on your feet if a layoff does come.
Here are 6 ways to become indispensable at work:
1. Become an expert. Understand how to do your job better than anyone else in your workplace. And then actually DO the job better than anyone. Become known as the person to seek out for knowledge and training about your job.
2. Learn new skills. Continue to grow and learn more in your job. Develop new skills and understand how best to apply them to your work.
3. Have a good attitude. When you have a positive attitude at work others want to be around you and collaborate with you. Use your positivity to encourage others.
4. Take a leadership role. You don't have to be a manager or supervisor to be a leader. Demonstrate a good work ethic, have a positive attitude, and share your skills with others. Take on a task that others don't want to do. Do it without being asked.
5. Be involved. Many workplaces have committees or other ways to be involved in improving the culture of your workplace. Join a committee and take a leadership role.
6. Mentor others. Use the knowledge you've gained by becoming an expert and learning new skills to train and mentor others in your company. When new staff are hired volunteer to train them and soon you'll be the go-to person for training.