Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Confessions of a Real Post Grad: Sara Gaona

I will be interviewing different post grads to document their journey, give advice, learn from their triumphs and mistakes and so other post grads know they aren't alone. I will be talking to those lucky few who got their dream job right after their degree or those who went in a completely different direction than they had planned.
1. Explain to readers where and when you graduated, your degree and your current job/schooling.

I graduated this past May 2012 from Fairleigh Dickinson University with my BA in Communications with minors in Sociology and Public Relations. I am currently a Public Relations Associate at Gail Schoenberg PR in New Jersey.


2. You just described your current situation, is this where you thought you'd be as a post grad? Explain.

Yes it is. Not to sound cocky at all but I had numerous internships throughout my college career and got heavily involved with public relations in many different ways so I could have a career in my field. I was also active in clubs in school and organizations out of school that were well known like the Intern Queen campus ambassador program.


3. What is your dream job?

I am working my dream job in a sense at the moment. I realized my last year of college how much of a foodie I am and started a blog which lead to the company I work for finding me. I love doing public relations for restaurants and food brands. It's a passion of mine and I'm happy I'm doing it now. If I could put my passion for public relations, food, and television together that would be my dream job. I interned at The Rachael Ray Show the fall of my senior year and loved it, I want to be the next Rachael eventually.

4. What is the best thing about being a post grad?
Not having class to wake up for. I love waking up everyday for my job and my schedule is awesome. It's also nice not having to worry about anything school related except for loans. The independence is great. I was able to move out sooner than expected so as much as it can be a challenge at times, I'm grateful. I am also enjoying having weekends open to an extent, because I've worked jobs where weekends were mandatory. I can relax if I want.

5. What is the worst?

Bills. Now that I have bills to pay I really need to budget. So as much as I have freedom it's going to be a test for me to budget. It's not the worst but it's a challenge. 

6. What advice do you have for recent post grads?


Don't put yourself in a box, you can do whatever you want and always stay busy & motivated.

No comments:

Post a Comment