Thursday, April 19, 2012

Confessions of a Real Post Grad: Nick Grenville

I will be interviewing different post grads to document their journey, give advice, learn from their triumphs and mistakes and so other post grads know they aren't alone. I will be talking to those lucky few who got their dream job right after their degree or those who went in a completely different direction than they had planned. We start with Nick Grenville, a graduate from Oakland University who moved to Florida after graduation and is struggling to figure out what he wants to do in life.

1. Explain to readers where and when you graduated, your degree and your current job/schooling.

I graduated Oakland University in 2009 (5 years after high school) with a Bachelors of Arts in Journalism. Currently, I am working in a restaurant and selling artwork on the side. Although I have been looking into writing grants for non-profit organizations.

2. You just described your current situation, is this where you thought you'd be as a post grad?

After graduating high school I thought I had my mind made up on what I would like to do for the rest of my life. In reality, I changed my major three times while in college before “deciding” what I wanted to do. Shortly after graduating Oakland University I ultimately realized that I did not like where that line of work would lead me either. Now after several years of working in kitchens, with a piece of paper hanging on my wall collecting dust, I discovered I might not have needed a degree after all. Conversely, a life without this education would be far worse.

I do think everyone should continue education via college or trade school. Similar to reading the newspaper or listening to NPR everyday, it is something not that difficult to do. A lot of people fear it yet all it can do is help. I thought I’d be a psychologist at this point in my life, however I am an educated man working in a kitchen.

3. What is your dream job?

I would love to solely sell my art through a gallery.

4. What is the best thing about being a post grad?

The best part is being able to say I have accomplished a goal of furthered education and having gained knowledge I might have otherwise missed out on due to laziness.

5. What is the worst?

The worst is not understanding why I didn’t take more consideration into what I wanted to do but hopefully everything will work out for the best.

6. What advice do you have for recent post grads?

Listen to your professors, link up with them and use them as a tool to help you find a job. Many of them have great connections and are willing to help people that are passionate about their degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment