Thursday, April 26, 2012

Confessions of a Real Post Grad: Kendra Bevier

I will be interviewing different post grads to document their journey, give advice, learn from their triumphs and mistakes and so other post grads know they aren't alone. I will be talking to those lucky few who got their dream job right after their degree or those who went in a completely different direction than they had planned.

1. Explain to readers where and when you graduated, your degree and your current job/schooling.

I graduated from Central Michigan University in May 2011 with a Bachelor of Science. I double majored in psychology and family studies. Currently, I am attending Wayne State University on a part-time basis to get my MSW (Masters of Social Work) degree. I will be finished May 2014. I am currently working full-time as a barista at Starbucks.

2. You just described your current situation, is this where you thought you'd be as a post grad?

I'm not really sure. I kind of decided on a whim that I wanted to go to grad school right away so I didn't really know what to expect.

3. What is the best thing about being a post grad?

The best thing is being in grad school. I really love ALL my classes, unlike undergraduate where you always had to take many that weren't of your interest.

4. What is the worst?

The worst thing is since I am in grad school I had to move back home since undergrad. Living at home isn't all that bad, but sometimes you just want to be independent. Many of my friends still haven't graduated from undergraduate yet, so often when I learn what they are up to I get jealous and wish I was back there. On the other end, I have friends who found jobs right out of college and are living on their own and I get jealous that I am not there yet.

5. What advice do you have for recent post grads?

My advice is try not to compare yourself to others. Working towards your passion is what matters. Some jobs are going to pay more, some jobs are going to be less stressful. In my case, the additional schooling isn't always fun but I know that I am on my way to having a higher education and being able to find that dream job of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment