Wednesday, March 1, 2017
Here are five steps to take while in college to get a head start on the job hunt:
1. Work and work hard. While in college you want to be sure to work a part-time job, do excellent work, and learn as much as you can. This will provide you with a positive reference and recommendation when applying for jobs after graduation.
2. Become fluent in a second language. The world is getting small and more and more companies are going global. Being fluent in a second language provides you with an advantage over other candidates who only speak English.
3. Volunteer. Get out there and support a cause by volunteering your time. You will demonstrate initiative, learn new skills, widen your network, and add another reference for when the job search happens.
4. Travel widely. Take advantage of study-abroad opportunities whenever possible. Studying in another country provides you with experiences you'll never forget, friends you'll take with through life, and also helps you get immersed in another language.
5. Be friendly and get social. The friends you make in college often become your best friends throughout your life. Be kind, make friends, and you'll end up with a large and supportive network.