Wednesday, January 18, 2017
If this describes you (and even if it doesn't) then consider the following five ways to stays healthy and fit while at work.
1. Move. Make an effort to get up and walk around every hour or so. You don't have to walk for long; simply getting up and moving for 3-5 minutes will help. If you can get outside all the better. Breathing in fresh air and being out in nature helps us relax and has other therapeutic benefits. If your job does not allow you to get up every hour then make sure you move when you get an opportunity, such as your lunch break. Movement is critically important to our health.
2. Eat healthy snacks. Many workplaces have vending machines offering snacks but many of these are unhealthy and filled with sugar. You can avoid the temptation to grab a candy bar by bring in some healthy snacks to munch on throughout the day. Consider bringing in some nuts, carrots, banana or apple. You'll feel better and have more energy when you snack well.
3. Bring in a plant. In many work places the windows don't open and you're stuck breathing in stale (and sometimes unhealthy) air. Bring in a plant or two for you work area. The plant will clean the air around you and, as mentioned above, having a bit of nature nearby can enhance your mood.
4. Exercise and stretch at work. Just because your at work doesn't mean you can't get some exercise and stretching in. Take a few minutes to stand on your toes and reach up for a good stretch. Or do some arm circles. You can even bring in a rubber ball or grippers to squeeze to strengthen your wrists and forearms. There are many other simple exercises you can try with a little creativity.
5. Don't neglect your mental health. As we've discussed above, taking a walk and being among nature has emotional and mental impacts, too. Be sure to consider your emotional and mental well-bing while at work. Bring in a poster with a motivational quote you appreciate, or write a personal mantra on a 3 x 5 note card and post it somewhere you can see it regularly throughout the day.
Implementing these five simple steps will go a long way to help you feel healthier and more energetic at work.