Wednesday, May 25, 2016
But there are also enemies to success that you'll encounter and will need to overcome. Let's take a look at five of these enemies to your success in career and life and consider ways to defeat them.
1. Lack of focus. It's difficult to be successful if you don't focus daily on what is truly important to your success. Many of us get distracted by unnecessary tasks instead of staying keyed in on what is necessary. To help with this stay off of social media when you're working and avoid multi-tasking. Complete one task at a time without distractions before moving on to something else.
2. Lack of effective communication skills. If you communicate in ways that are unclear, rude, or condescending it will be difficult to succeed in life and work. You need the support of others to succeed and you must be able to clearly articulate your vision in ways that motivate and encourage others rather than alienate them.
3. Lack of energy. It will be nearly impossible to be successful if you lack energy and enthusiasm to follow-through on your plans. This requires you to get an appropriate amount of sleep, eat well, avoid excessive alcohol intake, and get some exercise.
4. Lack of direction. Similar to lack of focus is lack of direction but lack of direction is related to the big picture: where do you see yourself in 5-10 years? What is it exactly that you want to accomplish? To hit a goal you first have to set a goal. Without a clear direction your work will be aimless and without any real sense of purpose. Get clear on your mission and goals and you'll have a better shot at the success you want.
5. Lack of support. There are no "self-made" men or women. We all need the support and encouragement of a team around us. Make an effort to develop a strong support system around you, including family, friends, mentors, and colleagues, and you'll find that you are already successful.