Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Always be Prepared. Keep a Current Resume at all Times!

I am a big believer in the Girl Scout and Boy Scout motto "Always be prepared." When I teach a resume writing class, I always tell my workshop attendees that once you get your resume done, you must always keep it current. Let’s look at some of the main reasons.

You Never Know What May Happen.
Many years ago, my husband and I were both laid off from our jobs within 6 weeks of each other. Now, this was before I started my resume writing business, but I can tell you that neither one of us had a current resume in hand. When you are laid off, let go, or feel the need to resign a position, you want to be able to jump right into the job market again.

When I am faced with change, action is often the best method for me to feel better about what is happening. Don’t force yourself to wait on getting your resume updated. Have your resume current with your most recent job and all your fabulous accomplishments waiting in the wings (or your computer).

You Never Know What May Come Your Way.
When opportunity knocks, you want to be ready to take full advantage. Often the window of these opportunities is short. Whether this new opportunity comes in the form of a networking contact, someone who finds you on LinkedIn, or you find a job posting on the internet, you want to be armed and ready with a current resume that you can send out on a moment’s notice.

Do You Remember What You Did a Year Ago?
My memory has been likened to Dory the fish from Finding Nemo. However, I know I am not alone. When I meet with clients, I often have to help them dig deep and mine out their accomplishments that they have forgotten or overlooked. Keep current and updated records of your accomplishments as they happen so that you are not scrambling for details when it is time to update your resume. What better place to store these than in your own resume?

No comments:

Post a Comment