Wednesday, July 31, 2019

How to Manage a Group Interview




In a former profession, I was invited to a group interview after being laid off from my previous job. I walked into a room with five people, all unsmiling other than the primary interviewer. After quick introductions, with names I quickly forgot, the representative from Human Resources provided an overview of how the interview would go and turned it over to an older man to ask the first question. When I say older, I mean he was probably the age I am now, twenty-five or so years later. I’ll never forget the first question.

“Tell us what you know about X”, he asked. Well, X was a huge topic. Not quite like asking “tell us what you know about the universe” but it felt close. I asked the questioner if he’d like to make his question more specific and he said no. I, of course, mumbled through some sort of reply while wishing I’d just gotten up and left. Needless to say, I didn’t get the job.

Even if you haven’t participated in one yet, group interviews are common, so it pays to be prepared. Here are a few ways to effectively manage the experience.

Remember names. It can be difficult to remember everyone’s name in a group interview so be sure to repeat the name and then jot it down in your notes. Your interviewers will form a closer bond with you if you mention their name in your response: “Well, Nancy, when I was working at …”.

Ignore the negative. As in any interview you want to remain positive and smile when appropriate. However, some people in a group interview will not want to be there. They do not like interviews and wish they were back at their desk getting some work done. They might let you know of their displeasure by glancing at their watch, sighing, looking at their mobile phone, and exuding a general sense of unhappiness. Do your best to focus on the smiling, pleasant people in an interview. They will help provide you with energy while the others will bring you down and remove your focus.  

Move on. Don’t be troubled by one question or your response to it. You never know exactly how your response was received by another person so even if you think you answered poorly, it’s possible the interviewer will forget all about by the time the interview is complete. Do your best to think about each new question and forget about making judgments about your interview until you’re on your way home. Ultimately, you won’t know how you were perceived until you hear back from the company.

No comments:

Post a Comment